HP48 FAQ Section 13: Appendix E: Where to get HP48 Programs
This list is designed to help HP48 users locate useful, well
written programs for their HP48, selected by HP48 users who send
in recommendations for their favourite programs.
Compatibility is noted by either SX (SX only), GX (GX only),
SX/GX (SX and GX), or SX?/GX (Works on GX, not sure about SX).
Most of the sites below require Internet access. However CompuServe
has a modest HP48 archive in the HP handhelds forum. Type
"go HPHAND" to access the forum. HP48 specific files can
be found in DL 3. America Online also has an HP area you can
access using "Keyword PDA".
Note that for most FTP sites, any programs in uploads directories
are subject to movement into their appropriate directories
(i.e. games or utilities), or removal by the archive maintainer.
There is also the possibility that the program might have a slightly
different name than the one given below, especially if newer versions
are available. If information has changed that you know of, let me
know so I can update the list.
I have also released my personal HP48 archive, which is updated
occassionally. It should contain all of the following programs, as
well as lots of others. More information can be obtained at:
- StringWriter (SX/GX): This is a replacement editor by
Jean-Yves Avenard. It offers such features as cut, copy,
paste as well as a choice of fonts. Available at
- ChemLab (SX/GX): A very fast, efficient, and complete
periodic table from Arnold Moy. Available at
- EXAL (SX/GX): Great spreadsheet program by Al Arduengo.
- GxTools (GX): GxTools is in effect a "Toolbar" for your
G/GX consisting of many useful utilities. Put together
by Jack Levy and available at
- HP-Writer (GX): This editor by Paquot Christophe is
small, fast, and uses UFL FNT2 but still has all the important
features. The current version is available at
- MiniWriter (SX/GX): Small, fast, FNT1 text editor by
Jean Yves Avenard. Available at
- Organizer (SX/GX): Organizer is a library designed to act
as a Personal Information Manager, or PIM. The goal is to
create a high-speed, easy to use, compact, yet fully
functional PIM for the HP48. Organizer includes a calendar,
appointment scheduler, annual events, TODOs, and a phone
manager. Also by Jack Levy and at
- Remote-BG (SX/GX): Use your HP48 as a remote control! This
is the best of the remote control programs and has the
ability to learn new codes. By Bjorn Gahm, available
- Scribe (SX/GX): Scribe is a library which will function as
a Database or Rolodex. It is designed to hold a large amount
of information in such a manner that it is easy to retrieve,
quick to find, and transparent in usage. Another great
program from Jack Levy at
- AUR Information (GX): Information on the Advanced User
Reference Manual compiled by Adrian Drury. Available at
- FAQ (SX/GX): Contains valuable answers to Frequency Asked
Questions. Read it! The latest version is available at
- GX Programming Tips (SX/GX): This document by Doug Cannon
briefly describes how to write code that runs on both
SX and GX. Available at
- Library Info (SX/GX): Information on the structure and use of
libraries. By Charlie Patton. Available on Goodies Disk 8.
- ML Input (SX/GX): How to get keyboard input from ML. By
Joe Ervin. Available on Goodies Disk 7.
- RPLMAN.DOC (SX/GX): This document was written by HP and
released without support to HP48 users. It describes
how to program in System RPL. Available on Goodies Disk 4.
- Saturn (SX/GX): Saturn Processor Reference guide by
Matthew Mastracci. The URL is
- SASM.DOC (SX/GX): Also from HP, this is the unsupported
guide to machine language programming for the Saturn
processor. Available on Goodies Disk 4.
- Jazz (SX/GX): This is best System RPL and Machine Language
development library that runs right on your HP48! Written
by Mika Heiskanen. The Jazz library provides commands for
assembling, disassembling and debugging both System RPL and
machine language. Both full and light versions are available at
- HP's Tools (DOS): Development tools for System RPL and
libraries on the PC. On Goodies Disk 4.
- GNU-Tools (Unix, DOS): A set of replacements for HP's
development tools by Mario Mikocevic (Mozgy) which that not
only runs on DOS, but also typical Unix systems such as Linux
and Solaris. It is distributed in both source and binary form.
Many of the larger HP48 programs like Jazz, Java, and the UFL
were developed with GNU-Tools.
It is available at:
- SSS (SX/GX): The SysRPL Shell by Stefan Wolfrum provides
an interface that helps you program in System RPL.
- BKUP (SX/GX): BKUP is written entirely in System RPL and is
intended to make a backup of any port(s) the user specifies.
By Bob Apodaca, available at
- FF (GX): This File Finder is designed for users with
large directory structures. It accepts a string and will
search your directories recursively for matches. By Jorge
Costa and available at
- FIXIT (SX/GX): This program by Mika Heiskanen and Joe Horn
repairs "HPHP48-" bad downloads. Available in ASC format
in the FAQ as well as on Goodies Disk 8.
- FXRECV (GX): Fixes bug in X-Modem for G/GX. Not necessary
for Rom R. By Cary McCallister. Available on Goodies Disk 9.
- HP82240B Emulator: Allows you to emulate the HP82240B IR
Printer. Written by Jarno Peschier and at
- PCT (SX/GX): Both SX and GX versions are available of this
file and library maintenance program. Available at the
standard sites. Be sure to use the correct version for your
machine! In particular the TREE.PCT file is an S/SX program
that is a common cause of crashes on G/GX machines.
- UFL (SX/GX): The Universal Font Library provides a
centralized location for common fonts between programs. Also
comes with a Font Maintenance Library (FMnt). Maintained by
Andre Schoorl and available at
- USEND/URECV (SX/GX): Significantly faster IR file
transfers! Approximately 4 to 6 times faster than SEND.
By Dan Kirkland. Available at
- STOFIX (GX): Fixes STO bug on Roms L and M. By Detlef
Mueller. Available at
- Tricorder (SX/GX): This program will make your HP48 beep
when it is held close to an object using the IR port.
Great for amusing friends! Written by Steven Ourada, improved by
Richard Steventon, and available at
- Stack Replacements and Related Programs
- EQStk (SX/GX): 7-line replacement stack intended for
mathematics. View objects on the stack in their
native form. By Mika Heiskanen. Available at
- Java (SX/GX): The totally improved 5-line stack environment!
Includes lowercase menus, improved status area, on-stack
algebraics, improved interactive stack, configurable font,
scroller, fast ML routines and more. By Richard Steventon,
Andre Schoorl (hey that's me!), and Will Laughlin. The
latest released version (3.2a) is available at
- MetaKernel (GX): This is a total replacement for a lot of
built in HP48 ROM code, including the stack, editor, equation
writer, matrix writer, and picture environments. It also
includes SysRPL and ML development tools. A lot of work has
been put into it to make everything extremely fast. The
MetaKernel requires a GX and is sold on a ROM card.
Documentation is available in both French and English. The
full version must be purchased from the authors, but a demo
version is available at
For those of you who don't have FTP access, you can FTP
programs by mail. To do this, you send commands via e-mail message to
the ftpmail server, and it then sends back the programs, usually in a
uuencoded format by e-mail.
For access to any ftp site, I recommend the sunsite ftpmail server.
To get more information, send a mail message to
<firstname.lastname@example.org> with the contents of:
There are other FTP by mail servers like the sunsite server, but
they are more heavily used, and take longer.
- Official Hewlett Packard BBS (48)
- Phone: (208) 344-1691 ; Corvallis, Oregon.
- Second Node: (541) 715-3277 ; Speed: 9600 baud
- Foundations in Science (48/100)
- UAH ACCESS BBS (28/48/95/100)
Phone: (205) 895-6152 ; U. Alabama Huntsville.
- The Ninth Bit BBS (48)
- Raiders of Lost Arg (48/95)
- NES BBX (48)
Phone: (503) 640-4263 ; Goodies Disks in File Area 22
- [(hp)]al BBS (48/95/100)
- Electronic Design News BBS (48)
Phone: (617) 558-4582 ; Features: Open to All
- Nybble's Byte (28/48/95/100/etc)
- Phone: (708) 304-0666 ; Speed: 28.8
- Features: 24 hr. Usenet/Internet
- Terrapin Station (48)
Phone: (708) 657-9543
- 48 Files BBS (48)
- Phone: (801) 371-8760 ; Speed: 14.4
- Features: Over 3000 files
- The ONE BBS (48)
Phone: +33-149-887-691 ; France.
- Cyberbox (48)
- This German BBS has a filebase that contains about 1000 Files,
30MB. All are zipped, with descriptions.
- Contact: Patrick.Werner@cyberbox.de
- Line 01-04 : +49-441-3990033 USR 2400-33600
- Line 05-06 : +49-441-9396977 ISDN X.75
- There is also full access to the filebase at
The start page for all file areas is
The HP Goodies Disks are a set of disks that are chock full of great HP48
files. They are collected by Joe Horn, and are available on the Internet.
They contain all shareware/freeware files. Currently there are 11 disks.
They can be obtained via anonymous ftp from the places listed below.
In the listings above, they are referred to by "GD #". All the goodies
disks have a file "fileinfo.src" which contains an index of all the files.
I would recommend everybody looking through all these disks, as there is
lots of great stuff on them!
Part of the HP Calculator Archive - http://www.hpcalc.org/